Sunday 22 January 2012

headscratching

a friend got in contact with me recently,  saying they were going to dispose of a big school bench, and asked if i wanted it to go towards my little project. i eventually said yes, and after i finally got out of bed this afternoon i drove my trusty micra in a dorset-ly direction. no breaking into the school was necessary as we had a key, and i quickly started to attack the bench with my limbs, and my mother's saw. after one minute, i had completely destroyed one of the pieces i definately want to use. i therefore took a slightly less physchotic approach, and resurrected these members....

there are a couple others too, which i haven't photographed due to my professional ability not to be able to focus on any one thing at a given time. after filling my car up with all of the remains for firewood (which i've just remembered are still in the car, sorry mum) i headed back to the workshop to try and figure out what to do with them

i'd say i just sat on the floor looking at those two beams for about 20minutes, trying to imagine in my head what i want to do with it all. how should i join them? how tall should the seating height be? shall i scrape off all the moss-type stuff on the legs or leave it on?  i may leave it on, adds a bit of character, and with the old mortiise holes and tenons showing it adds a bit of character. would be quite interesting to have these big oak beams, all sanded aup and clean resting on these old, used bench legs which bear the scars and stains of the school playground. and then to decide which features to keep on those bits, two of them have this bends and curves which would be good to incorporate, but then this that this that then that and the other. problem solving at its finest, interspersed with large doses of mumbling.

i'm sure my mind will totally change soon, need to make some decisions. hmmmmmmmm.

o x

hasn't let me down yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment